Kennett Symphony Children's ChorusFounded in 1990 by Karen L. Markey, the Kennett Symphony Children's Chorus is a community organization for boys and girls grades K through 12. The Chorus is an educational outreach of the Kennett Symphony of Chester County and gives qualified singers an opportunity to perform high-caliber, age-appropriate repertoire that is culturally and musically diverse while nurturing vocal and musical development within a group setting. Singers are auditioned and placed by age and/or experience in one of four groups: Tyros, Ensemble, Chorus, or Youth Chorale. Numbering more than 80 singers, the choristers represent public, private, parochial and home schools in the Chester County, Lancaster County, Delaware Valley, Montgomery County, and the Northern Delaware Region.
Auditions are held annually in May.
- To empower children of all religious, racial, cultural and economic backgrounds to experience music for its aesthetic and cultural value.
- To teach music literacy as the foundation for the development of musicianship in young singers.
- To enthusiastically collaborate with professional, school and community orchestras; living composers; and other choral programs to add a synergistic dimension to the singers' experience.
- To enhance the education of future and current music educators by providing internships, scholarships and authentic experiences that enhance learning and professional development in the realm of children's choral leadership.
Our FutureTo commemorate its 20th season and in anticipation of many seasons to come, the Kennett Symphony established the Kennett Symphony Children's Chorus Endowment Fund to insure a reliable, ongoing source of income to meet its vision and mission. The endowment fund will allow our organization to maintain and expand programs to serve generations to come. Our expanded program goals will:
- Provide scholarship monies for economically disadvantaged choristers.
- Provide the monetary resources to develop orchestral collaborations, support travel opportunities, participate in choral festivals, conferences, choral exchanges, and develop programs for artists in residence.
- Fund newloy commissioned works for children's voices.
- Fund internsthip programs for future music education candidates and provide scholarship funds for accompanists in-residence.
Choral LevelsThe Kennett Symphony Children's Chorus has four choral levels:
- Tyros or "beginning learners": (Preparatory chorus, Level 1) This ensemble is for boys and girls entering grades K-2.
- Ensemble (Level II): Boys and girls entering grades 3-5 may audition for participation. Exceptions may be made to include younger children who demonstrate advanced music reading skills.
- Chorus (Level III): Girls and boys (with unchanged voices) who are entering grade 6-8 may audition for participation in this level. Those who have had previous experience in the Ensemble and/or who demonstrate the skill levels necessary for participation in Chorus may be invited into this level at the Director's discretion. Boys with changing or changed voices will be considered for membership in the Youth Chorale.
- Youth Chorale (Level IV): This ensembles is designed for Choristers entering 9th-12th grades. Eighth grade students who exhibit comprehensive musical skills and maturity may be invited to sing at this level.
- Twentieth Anniversary Celebration Concert, May, 2010.
- Premier of "Jack & the Beanstalk" with the Immaculata Symphony, February 2010
- Recital Series at St. Peter's Lutheran Church, Neffville, PA, January 2010
- Kodaly Educators of Eastern PA (KEEP) performance, October 2009
- Children's Music Festival, Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd, Lancaster, PA (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010)
- Kennett Symphony Summer Performance of "Carmina Burana", August 2008
- OAKE Eastern Division Conference, West Chester Univesity of PA, November 2007
- Bruton Parish Church, Williamsburg, VA, Summer 2007
- World Beat Retreat, Summer 2004
- Pacific Rim Childrens Chorus Festival, Oahu, Hawai'i - One of 8 choirs chosen to attend. July 3 - July 15, 2004
- Ocean City Pops, Summer 2003
- Kennett Symphony Summer Performance of "1812 Overture”
- Hilton Head Symphony Orchestra Performance of "Carmen"
- Chester County Flower Show
- QVC's 10th Anniversary Celebration for Marie Osmond at Winterthur Museum, August 2001
- Sunoco Welcome America 4th of July Parade: Philadelphia, PA, 2001
- World of Children's Choirs Festival, Vancouver, BC, Canada, 2001 - one of eight US choirs chosen to perform
- Chester County Historical Society Victorian Christmas, December 2000-2002
- Kennett Symphony season performances: Family Concert Program, Summer at Longwood Gardens, Christmas Concert
- Music at St. Michael's Concert Series, Unionville, Pennsylvania
- Philadelphia, The Place That Loves You Back Parade, July 2000,
- 1999 ABC/Boscov's Thanksgiving Day Parade; Philadelphia, PA
- Good Friday Concert with the Delaware Valley Chorale at the Cathedral of St. Peter; Wilmington, DE
- Washington, D.C. Concert Performances--Choral Prelude for Worship at the National Cathedral; Ellipse of the White House; U.S. Capitol Steps